“Why Am I Aging So Fast?”
Want younger-looking skin?
Your skin seems to have other plans. Maybe those wrinkles are deepening at an alarming rate. Or perhaps it just feels like the image in the mirror doesn’t reflect how young you feel.
Premature ageing can look different for everyone, but there are steps you can take to help prevent, slow, or reverse the signs.
If you’ve been wondering, “why am I aging so fast?!” keep reading for our top tips on reclaiming and sustaining a youthful glow.
What’s Premature Ageing?
None of us can avoid the ageing process.
Some of your body’s processes naturally start to decline in your 20s and 30s. Collagen and elastin production, which provide the skin’s structure and elasticity, slow down. And your skin produces less Hyaluronic Acid, which helps your skin retain hydration. Over time these things combine to make your skin appear “older”. You might start to notice crow’s feet, lines around your mouth, thinning and sagging skin, or bags under the eyes.
Premature ageing is when you experience these symptoms earlier than average. Scales like the Glogau Wrinkle Scale can be helpful when determining the extent of your premature ageing.
Check out the different stages of ageing.
Signs of Premature Ageing
Premature ageing looks different for everyone, but these are some common signs to look out for. And an approximate age range for when they appear.
A common sign of ageing for people over 50 are sunspots (also called age spots or liver spots). These flat brown spots on your skin are caused by years in the sun. This means they’re likely to appear on exposed areas like your arms, hands, or face.
Wrinkles or sagging skin
The decrease of collagen in your 30s combined with frequent facial movements can leads to your first fine lines and wrinkles, although there’s no set “norm” for when wrinkles appear. Sun exposure, pollution, and dehydration can also have an impact.
Dry or itchy skin
As your skin ages (prematurely or otherwise), it thins. And thinner skin is more prone to dehydration. After 40, you might notice that your skin is dryer, flakier and may even itch.
Premature Ageing Causes
What if we told you that 1 factor alone was responsible for up to 90% of the signs of ageing? It’s true!
UV rays are enemy #1 when it comes to premature ageing, responsible for up to 90% of signs. Other factors which could contribute to premature ageing include:
- Lack of sleep
- Repeated facial expressions
- Poor diet
- Alcohol and caffeine consumption
How to Prevent Signs of Premature Ageing
Like most things in life, prevention is better than cure. Here’s our list of 7 things you can do to help prevent signs of premature ageing.
- Wear a broad-spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen like COVER RECOVER™ every day. Make it a regular part of your routine, so you never forget.
- Stay in the shade, particularly when the UV rays are the most intense.
- Wear protective clothing, including a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Don’t start/quit smoking, so your skin won’t be exposed to the oxidative stress that leads to wrinkles (and for many other reasons!).
- Keep your hydration levels topped up by drinking enough water, wearing a moisturiser like SKIN VENEER, and treating yourself to an HLYA ACTIVE 3D SCULPTURED FACE MASK once a week.
- Use active skincare, which means the ingredients are proven to work. Vitamin A is a must for aged skin. RETINAL ACTIVE contains Retinaldehyde, the most active form of Vitamin A available without a prescription.
- Fight free radical damage with antioxidant-rich serums such as ANTIOXIDANT COCKTAIL—an essential for fighting against ageing and uneven skin tone and texture.
Rejuvenating Prematurely Aged Skin
For now, no time machine can reverse ageing. However, Dermapen Treatments are a proven way of promoting more collagen and elastin in the skin for up to 2 years. The result is visibly plumper, smoother skin with fewer lines, wrinkles, or pigmentation. It works by creating flawless micro-injuries in the skin, which stimulates the repair function and boosts collagen.
What’s more, the needles also push the beneficial actives from the Meso-Glide serum used during the Dermapen Treatment deeper into your skin. Your Authorised Treatment Provider may also advise additional accelerating procedures such as Dp Dermaceuticals L.E.D.™ light therapy or an ÜBER PEEL.
If you want to find out more about looking younger (not older) than your years, book a consultation with an Authorised Treatment Provider today.
If you are a professional and wish to learn how to become a DermapenWorld Authorised Treatment Provider, click here.